Skip to main content

Althea Contraceptive Pill: Review, Side Effects and Uses



Althea is an oral contraceptive pill. It is considered as the most popular contraceptive pill in the Philippines and other ASEAN countries. Apart from contraception, Althea is also used for variety of other purposes, including treating irregular hormonal problems (like PCOS) and curing pimple outbreaks, among others. In fact, many users consider it as a beauty pill because of its positive effect on the facial skin.



How to Use Althea


First thing I would like to mention here is the requirement to consult an OBGyne before starting Althea. I understand that majority of users have successfully used it without consulting a doctor, but it will always better to take opinion if you are planning to use it for long term.


Further, it comes with 21 hormonal pills. Users are required to take one pill daily at exactly the same time for 21 days. And then, they are expected to go for 7 pill free days. During these pill free days, they should get menstruation cycle.


If you are going to start Althea, ensure to start it on the first day of menstruation. It will lead to better adjustment by your body and hence less side effects. It will also make sure that you remain away from hormonal issues being faced by many new users.
Similarly, going for seven pill free days is necessary.



Side Effects of Althea


There are many possible side effects of Althea. Please note that these side effects usually happen with new users and go away over time. Following are some of the prominent side effects:


-         Breast Tenderness
-         Vomiting Tendency
-         Nausea
-         Headache
-         Lower Stomach Pain
-         Delayed menstruation cycle (till 2 packs of Althea)


Because of breast tenderness, many believe that taking Althea can lead to enlargement of breast. That is a plain myth. Your breast will become normal over time.


Similarly, many users get frightened when they find delayed menstruation. I would like to reiterate here that delayed menstruation is quite common among new users and you should not worry about that.


I should mention here that if you take Althea daily at exactly the same time after starting it on the first day of menstruation then you will remain away from almost all side effects.



Who should not use Althea?

There is a set of users who should not use Althea.


If you are pregnant then don’t use it. As soon as you realize about pregnancy, you should stop using it.


If you are breastfeeding, don’t use Althea. It is because of the fact that it contains Estrogen (along with Progesterone). Estrogen can negatively affect the breast milk output. In that scenario, you should use Progesterone only pill, like Daphne.



Ingredients of Althea

As mentioned above, Althea contains Estrogen and Progesterone. Both of these are female hormones. Because of this fact, Althea is categorized as a combined pill.

Comments

  1. I have tried this after going through your blog its really amazing since 3months I am taking this and now I am having regular and healthy mensuration cycle thanks to you and hempushpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried this after going through your blog its really amazing since 3months I am taking this and now I am having regular and healthy mensuration cycle thanks to you and hempushpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Althea pills can trigger melasma?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can i ask, Im still single and i dont have any kids yet,is it ok to take althea? Because i have plenty of pimples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ofcourse you can take althea to cure your pimples. I have a dark skin before and had a several pimples,but my ib advice me to take althea,she told that it will lessen my pimples and ny skin will also glow. and thats it im in my 1 year taking Althea,and it does change my skin and make it glow

    ReplyDelete
  6. ofcourse you can take althea to cure your pimples. I have a dark skin before and had a several pimples,but my ib advice me to take althea,she told that it will lessen my pimples and ny skin will also glow. and thats it im in my 1 year taking Althea,and it does change my skin and make it glow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:33 AM

    I have a question. My OB suggested me to take the althea pill after an unexpected miscarriage umayaw na muna kami ng husband ko dahil sa sakit emotionally at di kumapit ung baby dahil sa health conditions ko, we both needed time to heal and recover. I took the pill (naka 3 sets yata ako) habang di pa ko nagkakaron ng menstruation. Nung nagkaron ako I stopped using the pill up to now since wala naman kaming unprotected intercourse. Normal ung una kong mens kaso the second month nag iba na siya from 7 days naging 4 days nalang and then nag stop mens ko for 2 days tapos nagkaron nanaman ako. Nung first four days may black spots. Could that be a side effect? Parang withdrawal na from the pill? Please help me.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello po! :) Okay lang po ba na mag take ng althea ang thyroid patient?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anjana Om Kashyap: Profile, Family, Husband, Caste and Salary

Dr. Sambit Patra, BJP: Profile, Family and Wife

N M Mayilvahanan, IPS: Profile, Family and Wife

Mukhar Abbas Naqvi and Ashok Singhal Relationship

Manu Maharaj, IPS: Profile and Family

Nishant, Son of Nitish Kumar: Profile

Is Shahnawaz Hussain Son-in-Law of Murli Manohar Joshi?

Prahlad Modi: Profile, Wife, Family and Wiki

Hempushpa: Review, Side Effects, Dosage and Price

Girlfriend of Akash Ambani